A Kitchen with all the trimmings..

Well, almost. We’ve been taking it easy and trying to do work just on the weekends. Paul did spend some time this week figuring out how he was going to create the window jambs. The existing jambs used 3/8″ thick wood. While you can get 3/8″ thick wood at Lowes, they don’t have it in 7-8″ wide that we needed. Why do we need such a wide board? Because we added 3″ of thickness to the walls. Home Depot didn’t have anything other than 1x lumber. Paul called a local lumber yard hoping they would have a better selection. They didn’t. In fact the person on the phone wasn’t very nice or willing to help. So much for local places being better in this case.

Paul spent the rest of the week thinking of other options including getting 3/8″ x 8″ wide planks milled down for us or trying to use his router to do it himself. He wanted to keep the window openings the same width so we could reuse our existing window shades. I reminded him that they were not very expensive and it wouldn’t be a big deal if we had to replace them. So we decided to use some 1x8s for the jambs.

We won’t rehash all the gritty details on how to trim out a window. Paul found it easier to put each piece in one by one. You could also build a three sided box and slide it into place. That wouldn’t work with our old house as most things aren’t plumb or true. One other thing, the jambs don’t need to go right up against the window. Cut your jambs a little short and line them up so they are flush with the drywall. Cover up the gap with the window with some quarter round or shoe, which is like quarter round but one side is longer. The later is what we used because the jambs are so deep. We also didn’t use an apron as you can see. We’ll decide if we want to after we install the tile backsplash.

Paul got the one behind the sink done Friday night and the other one on Saturday. Here are some pictures of the progress.


Pardon the dirty dishes…

Saturday and Sunday I caulked and painted the windows. We used some “bathroom/kitchen” silicone on the outside of the window above the sink and thankfully I did this well because it isn’t paintable (and I used it on the cabinet filler *doh* gotta re-do that). I saw it was drying quite shiny so I looked at the tube. It’s great for the sink, undercabinet and other high water prone areas but we needed something paintable for inside the windows. We had some caulk from our unfinished exterior window caulking adventure which was paintable. I cut the tip to 1/8″ and still used tape. I find when tubes are new, the first 1/3 of the tube doesn’t come out smoothly. After that, I don’t bother taping because it comes out much more predictably. I wouldn’t suggest that for caulking a bathtub. Always tape because it’s super sticky stuff and mostly not water soluble.

After 4 hours of drying, I went back in with trim paint that matches the cabinetry (according to the good people at IkeaFans) in Benjamin Moore Simply White in Aura Semi-gloss. I used my Premium XL Tight Spots 2″ Angle Short Handle Brush. I discovered this line of brushes on younghouselove.com and I’ve been hooked. It’s sythentic and so affordable. Seriously, it was $5! I also am getting much better at cutting in by hand which saves so much time taping. I think everyone should learn to cut in by hand without tape, it’s faster and cheaper.

Ta da! The sticker means we passed electrical inspection, we have one on our electrical box too.

I painted some of the other trim we have in the basement for the base molding and we’ll be re-trimming the pass-through window. Hopefully our tile comes in this week or early next since we want to do our backsplash over Christmas. We also need to source a table saw to rip some trim. We think we found a pretty darn close match to the cap of our base molding but it includes one extra detail that needs to come off.

This entry was posted in Paint, Trim and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *